Mission Statement: AALAS is an association of professionals that advances responsible laboratory animal care and use to benefit people and animals.
The American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) is a membership association of professionals employed around the world in academia, government, and private industry who are dedicated to the humane care and treatment of laboratory animals, as well as the quality research that leads to scientific gains that benefit people and animals. AALAS provides educational materials to laboratory animal care professionals and researchers, administers certification programs for laboratory animal technicians and managers, publishes scholarly journals, supports laboratory animal science research, and serves as the premier forum for the exchange of information and expertise in the care and use of laboratory animals.
AALAS Goals can be viewed here.
Core Values Statement
The American Association for Laboratory Animal Science believes that the use of laboratory animals in scientific and medical research is essential to the improvement and protection of the quality of all life. The humane and responsible care of laboratory animals is vital to quality research and, as such, an essential aspect of AALAS endeavors. AALAS is dedicated to building and disseminating a knowledge base in laboratory animal science for the education and training of those who work in this field.
Code of Ethics
The Code of Ethics for members of AALAS has been adopted by the Board of Trustees to promote and maintain the highest standards of professional and personal conduct among its members. Adherence to these standards is required for membership in the Association and serves to assure public confidence in the integrity and service of AALAS members.
- Maintain the highest standard of personal conduct.
- Promote and encourage the highest level of ethics within the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Maintain loyalty to the profession of laboratory animal science and pursue its objective in ways that are consistent with the public interest.
- Recognize and discharge my responsibility and that of my position to uphold all laws and regulations relating to the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Strive for excellence in all aspects of the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Use only legal and ethical means in all professional activities.
- Maintain the confidentiality of privileged information entrusted or known to me by virtue of my position.
- Refuse to engage in, or countenance, activities for personal gain at the expense of the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Always communicate associated internal and external statements in a truthful and accurate manner.
- Cooperate in every reasonable and proper way with others and work with them in the advancement of the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Use every opportunity to improve public understanding of the role of the profession of laboratory animal science.