AALAS is an association of professionals that advances responsible laboratory animal care and use to benefit people and animals.
AALAS Core Values Statement
The American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) believes that the use of laboratory animals in scientific and medical research is essential to the improvement and protection of the quality of all life. The humane and responsible care of laboratory animals is vital to quality research and, as such, an essential aspect of AALAS endeavors. AALAS is dedicated to building and disseminating a knowledge base in laboratory animal science for the education and training of those who work in this field.
Code of Ethics
The Code of Ethics for members of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) has been adopted to promote and maintain the highest standards of professional and personal conduct among its members. Adherence to these standards is required for membership in the Association and serves to assure public confidence in the integrity and service of AALAS members:
- Maintain the highest standard of personal conduct.
- Promote and encourage the highest level of ethics within the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Maintain loyalty to the profession of laboratory animal science and pursue its objectives in ways that are consistent with the public interest.
- Uphold all laws and regulations relating to the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Strive for excellence in all aspects of the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Use only legal and ethical means in all professional activities.
- Maintain the confidentiality of privileged information.
- Refuse to engage in, or countenance, activities for personal gain at the expense of the profession of laboratory animal science.