The Charles River Prize is awarded to a veterinarian in recognition of his/her outstanding contributions to laboratory animal science and medicine.
Since 1978, Charles River has proudly sponsored the Charles River Prize in the U.S. Beginning in 2013, we expanded the reach of the Charles River Prize to include our international colleagues through AALAS.
The nominee should be a veterinarian who has had significant, consistent contributions to laboratory animal science and medicine. The nominee must be either a member of AALAS or an AALAS-recognized affiliate organization. The nominee may be a resident of any country. The Charles River Prize Nomination Form and Charles River Prize Reference Letter of Support Form must be completed for each letter of support.
Please notify Dr. Marilyn Brown of your intention to nominate one of your colleagues for the CR Prize no later than March 1 at firstname.lastname@example.org. If more than one person wishes to nominate a single nominee, Dr. Brown will notify the parties to encourage them to work together to submit a single nomination packet.
- Publications and presentations in the field of laboratory animal science, medicine, welfare or ethics
- Teaching and training activities that foster the highest standards of animal care and use
- Public outreach supporting biomedical research
- Involvement in public policy enhancing biomedical research
- Involvement in development of recognized guidelines, standards and other activities enhancing the use of animals in biomedical research
- Contributions to the implementation of the 3Rs in biomedical research
- Other attributes not covered above that should be considered such as grants to enhance animal care and use programs or involvement in professional organizations (particularly leadership roles).
The recipient is awarded a plaque and a $2,500 honorarium.